Sunday, March 22, 2009

ICS 499: Dreamweaver and Devcathlon

Introduction
As a member of Devcathlon's Matches and Scoreboard design team I am taking on the scoreboard portion of the development. To aid with the implementation I decided to use Dreamweaver because I thought it would be easier to deal with the graphics involved with the scoreboard. Also, I thought it would be helpful to my future career to have experience using a tool like Dreamweaver.

Using Dreamweaver
When the team got the specifications I had played with Dreamweaver for about a hour. So my Dreamweaver experience is extremely limited and my hope for quickly coming up with a decent scoreboard design was dashed.
I chose Dreamweaver because the graphic intensive of the scoreboard and I know the program is quite powerful when working with image heavy pages. My ultimate goal is for the Devcathlon score to look like a sport's scoreboard. Just about everything on the Yahoo scoreboard is dynamic and I would love for Devcathlon to have the same function.

With Dreamweaver I can build a page.
  • With tabbed menus.
  • Set the background color black.
  • Set the font color white.
  • Set the positioning for just about everything on the page through css.
The nice thing about Dreamweaver is not having to hand code the style sheet. Through an interface I can add or edit CSS properties. The CSS interface is a handy thing to have especially if there was a forgotten element or if the style sheet is loaded with code. Conclusion
I like Dreamweaver I think its a powerful tool and is quite handy in building web pages. However, there is a learning curve and takes a few days to come up with decent results.